Friday, March 30, 2007

Funky



I discovered last.fm after a post by Dlade a while ago. Shortly it's a service/program that checks your taste in music and then suggests/plays similar music. You can either give your favourit artist or download a small program which "scrobbles" the music you play in i.e. iTunes. The program can then show you to other users with similar taste or create your personal "radiostation" based on your taste in music. The whole thing is based on that users tag music by genre for example. So far I've mostly used the program as a fun widget (here to the right) partly because I like the music I already have and partly because in the office my laptop is connected to the internet via U of C's lousy wlan, which can not stream music without interruptions.

However, the other day I started working more in the lab where the computer has a proper internet connection and after listening to Sweden getting beaten by Northern Ireland I switched to "my" radiostation on last.fm. After the bloody thing had played James Blunt I was ready to never ever use it again but decided to let it play music tagged "funk" instead. Now we're talking. There's a lot of Old School like Parliament and Sly Stone, some soul funk and some stuff goes towards hip-hop and acid jazz. One discoveres several good artists one never heard of before. Try for yourself.

Me like!

No comments: