Sunday, April 8, 2007

Spicing snaps

Since you can not get snaps or aquavit in Alberta I had to make my own for Easter. I tried two different kinds, both turned out fairly drinkable. The first one was about 350 ml vodka, the peel of one small lemon and a little less than one tablespoon of dill seeds. The spices where removed after 1.5 days. The snaps had a pretty strong taste of lemon so next time I will use less lemon and more dill. The second snaps was a bit more experimental but the goal was to get something similar to O.P. Andersson. Fresh fennel, aniseed, dill seeds, coriander seeds and some fresh coriander lay in ca 1 dl of vodka for 2 days. I also added some clove which I found in a cupboard. After one day I had to remove the clove since it dominated the taste too much. The outcome was pretty good, fennel and aniseed dominated with an aftertaste of clove. For next time, which probably will be midsummer, I'll skip the clove and add caraway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Midsummer? That's an unbearable thought. Or does the midsummer mean the beginning of May? Good luck brewing another fairly good drinkable amount of snaps....